Friday, August 11, 2006

Lismer

"Somehow they wake an instant response in me. Lismer's two last pictures gave me a feeling of exhilaration and joy. All his works are fine, but he is going on to higher and bigger things, sweep and rhythm of the lines, stronger colours, simpler forms. He was extremely nice. I wonder if these men feel as I do, that there is a common chord struck between us. No, I don't believe they feel so toward a woman. I'm way behind them in drawing and in composition and rhythm and planes, but I know inside me what they're after and I feel perhaps, given a chance, I could get it too. Ah, how I have wasted the years! But there are still a few left."

Emily Carr on Arthur Lismer
I just visited an amazing exhibition of Carr's work in Ottowa, Canada. Though she is known for her paintings of the Native Americans of the Pacific Coast; I love her renditions in her later work of the "life" in nature. There was a self-confident loose brush work about them that really struck me when I saw the actual work.

No comments: