Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My drive home from work was stunning. The sun was just starting to change to the yellows of a winter sunset in a light blue sky. Ice still coats every tree and it just glowed with the light. It accented each attenuated tree limb like an outline of fire. I felt like I had been transported into some childhood fairyland. Everyone was driving a bit slower and I think today is the first time I have ever thought of a power line as beautiful. It was a literal power line, glowing bright yellow from the ice and fringing the road. These golden strings passed on upward arcs to a pole and then swooped down. I wondered at how I could paint light like this, pure light that transformed objects into something magical. For a moment, I pretended to be driving to some other place between the worlds where an ordinary commute could take me somewhere beneath all of this normal living.

No comments: