Sunday, March 25, 2007

I wonder at the gaze, it has struck me twice with such clarity today.

The first time was when I was avoiding work and enjoying some above 40 degree weather, by doing one of my favorite activities, watching birds. I love to witness moments of behavior that seem particular and momentary. I noticed two swans, a male and a female gesturing to each other. In order to truly look at one and other they have to twist their heads a bit due to the location of their eyes. They were moving their necks up and down twisting their heads to see into each others eyes. I could not distinguish which one initiated the dance but I was struck by the intimacy of their gazes towards each other.

Then as I attended a wake tonight I saw some old movies from the 1940s. As I watched the light filled images dance, I was witness to the cameraman's fondness for his sweetheart. He idled the camera over her face and her soft gaze looked up at him. A look, the little thing we remember and hold with us, to be noticed and made special by another.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Those special looks... make such sweet memories.

Corby said...

Yes, I agree, I wonder if it is what we are most likely to leave behind.

-corby