Thursday, April 12, 2007

Come with me



Come with me today, put on your warm waterproof coat. We can spend the day in each other's quiet company. Walk with me, through the cool rain that echoes on the hoods of our jackets. I pull my hood off as we walk revealing my red hat, so I can see better. It is so silent here, the birds are even hushed in the morning rain. I want you here with me, we can speak of the things we see in low tones.

The earth sucks at our feet as we go. Every once in a while it will smack like we are in a vat of pudding. I would laugh with you at that, the sound would carry.

I am comforted by the cold wet air that catches my breath and transforms it into steam. Your words would have water weight here with me. They would rise from you in waves as the heat does escaping us.

Look at this tree, wrapped in spikes. We are surrounded in wet muted colors. The rain saturating the red bushes glowing against the pale dead yellow grass. Carefully we inspect each pine tree. You have to gaze up through the branches to find the owls. Long-Eared Owls sit up high flush to the trunk, Saw-Whet Owls are low at eye level. At any moment we may encounter them.

We could gaze at the green pine boughs, heavy with rain that follows their line and then slowly drips off of them. For some moments we will be just us, free from titles. Just two souls silent in our own separate contemplation as we crouch through the high woody shrubs.

Time is slow now, just the heavy pulse in my ears that speeds up when you glance back at me. I will follow, a little reluctant to leave that tree. I am still searching for that owl, but instead we startle a crow. They are hunted here and he is wary.

Then we both see it. A small "Oh" escapes from my mouth as he flies off from the tree we are standing under. Let's share that vision. He flies with no sound at all with undulating wing-beats.

I will try to take a picture of him, but for a moment I am just content to have seen him at all. We could take a moment to let it sink in. I share my feeling of connection with the owl as he looks into my face. I manage to get a picture although it is blurry ghost like as he is.

Share your dreams with me, here in this place. We are both getting soaked now and after the owl my hands feel colder. Tell me your stories of what drew you here. What are your regrets and fears? You see me warming my hands against my mouth.

We go further on the trail. I love the connection I always feel when I walk in the woods. For me all of the walks I have ever taken blur together and come forward in my mind. I can remember other times in my life when I escaped to the woods. Some of them have even been here. It helps me to know that these troubles will pass away with time.

You can't break what is already broken. I know this and would relate it to you. See, we are just acting on what already is. I imagine a time far from now when I may again find myself here. I would speak to those people of the future and when they ask me why I was willing to take such chances, I would tell them. I loved you best and that is all.

The sky begins to clear. I hear the calls of a cardinal and see his red streaking before us on the trail. The robins warn of our approach. A group of black-capped chickadees whistle their songs as they feed in the bushes. A fox sparrow watches me in through the branches. I see in his eye a singular reflection.

No comments: