Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The subterfuges of language, the artifices of style, brilliant turns of the phrase that sometimes please me as an artist are not suited to my barbaric heart, which is so hard, so loving. One understands them and tries one's hand at them; it is a luxury which harmonizes with civilization and which for its beauties I do not disdain.
Let us learn to employ it and rejoice in it boldly, the sweet music which at times I love to hear-til the movement when my heart asks for silence again.
There are savages who clothe themselves now and then.

-Paul Gauguin

2 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

These words are beautifully expressed. I have noticed that visual artists have a strong poetic streak as do musicians.

Corby said...

Gauguin is one of my personal favorites.

welcome,

Corby