Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I am so eager to keep on under the influence of what is round me here-and develop myself-I know it will be worth it to myself and to anyone who may be interested-I am past the point of having ambitions other than for my work-I have but the one object and I have learned economy through experience and do not interest myself in the game of being the well to do artist. I merely want to prove my right to what I venture to believe mat be true-and what you yourself generously say, that I am an artist. I do not as you know also-aspire to greatness or outward success-I merely aspire toward perfecting myself-and I can do most toward this end at this time here where the atmosphere and general conditions are conducive to growth.

-Madsen Hartley in a letter to Alfred Stieglitz from the book, My Dear Stieglitz

Someone had a wonderfully calm way of making the craziness of today seem to vanish for a few moments.

2 comments:

Jean said...

This sounds like a wonderful philosophy to adopt.

Corby said...

yes, I agree... he had the fortune of being in France at such an amazing time.


-Corby