Friday, September 21, 2007

Now the fact is
that there is hardly
a roadside pond or pool
which has not as much
landscape in it as above it.
It is not the dull,
muddy, brown thing
we suppose it to be;
it has a heart like ourselves,
and in the bottom of that
there are the boughs
of the tall trees, and the
blades of the shaking grass,
and all manner of hues,
of variable, pleasant light
out of the sky; nay,
the ugly gutter that stagnates
over the drain bars,
in the heart of the foul city,
is not altogether base;
down in that, if you look
deep enough, you may see
the dark, serious blue
of far-off sky, and the passing
of pure clouds.

-From John Ruskin Considers the Nature of Water, Circa 1842
-found in Ruskin's Modern Painters discovered by me in Ralph Black's book Turning Over the Earth. He is a poet I met yesterday evening who read to all of us which is always delicious to the soul. I will be posting some of his work soon.
My life, well it is utter chaos lately.

2 comments:

* said...

hope it is positive chaos. the photo above is great.

Corby said...

Antonia,

Good to hear from you, thanks on the photo. Sometimes I forget I have them and re-find them on my computer.
It is both a positive and a negative chaos. Which I guess is true chaos.

-Corby