Sunday, October 21, 2007

There is a story about rabbits I have been told. It is about how a rabbit yelled and yelled, "Oh hawk do not eat me, please. Do not eat me!" so loud that the hawk heard it and decided to eat it. So today I am stuck on what happened earlier on my hike. I found a rabbit in my path laying prone on her side. Her mouth was covered with saliva and her eyes were clouded and dry. Her body contracted over and over as if she were desperate to get away from me. The motions of her running was punctuated by her rhythmic screams. It was horrible and has haunted me all day. I could not help her. I was afraid to touch her for fear of zoonotic diseases and she was beyond any treatments. It was hard to leave her to her death but it felt like it was more merciful then carrying her off to a vets office. In this case I hoped that a hawk would hear her. The hawk would end her suffering and would not contract her sickness. Ironically a little later a hawk hunted over me and I watched him eat and catch mice. So it haunts me that sound and struggle and I worry over it, wanting to find meaning in it. It was really horrible and heartbreaking to see. Sometimes I want to close my eyes and my heart, actually lately I want to do that allot.

2 comments:

Jean said...

hey now... no closing of the mind or heart!
Poor rabbit... makes me sad, but you can't help everything. At the same time that I say that, I still know how you feel. It hurts to see suffering.

Corby said...

yes I always wish I could do something to ease it.

-Corby