Saturday, December 15, 2007

I have to remember that there are always times as I create a painting where I dislike it. It is kind of a given, dislike and then fix and then more dislike and further fixing. Hopefully they do not end on a sour note. It is the discipline of keeping the focus of the original impetus for the work that always reinvigorates the process of creating it. Sometimes I find myself going beyond the reason and when I do that I have difficulty finding the hook in a work that held my attention. My mind races ahead of my clumsy hands and wants to keep finding more and more things to paint. I have to have more patience and calm my focus to get back where I need to be. I am endlessly starting things and then as they go on I grow impatient with the subtle details needed to convey the work I am on. Oh, just be done I want to say impatient to express the next charged idea. I have to go back in and find the beauty of the painting even in its clumsy adolescence. I can be so steadfast on some things, harboring terribly strong crushes for years, patiently conveying a concept to someone who is confused, waiting for the perfect moment with a bird to get a photo, and so I must be this steadfast in my work and not be so ready to jump away from it. Mature painters can do that, sit with a work for years. I will be more patient in all things, see I can wait. I must take my time on things and not always want to rush rush. I cannot live like the world will be over tomorrow. I must have more hope and trust.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Being patient, or trying to be, can make me crazy!
Lack of it is, I think, the reason I have so many home projects in process and very few near completion.
heh...I also have to remind myself that being patient is not the same as lounging lazily!

Corby said...

:-)
I know I sometimes get distracted and lounge around. I am terrible about being patient so I am making a point to be.

-Corby