Thursday, January 24, 2008

I want to give you a feeling of hope- I want you to take your freedom-I am only too sorry that my life has been thrust on you-I have relied upon your perfect understanding-otherwise-how many times I feared I might be imposing or perhaps ruining a too fine friendship-and I should only have myself to blame-but I know you have understood and have always had faith...

I do not altogether despair but I do struggle and the struggle produces nothing in me but fatigue and nothing for others-not even for my work for that proceeds from another kind of inward activity. And there's no saying "buck up and be different" for it is myself and I must always be that and be true to it-and live with it the best I can for I am eternally alone with it.

-Marsden Hartley

No comments: