Sunday, May 25, 2008

DE PROFUNDIS

by: Christina Rossetti (1830-1894)

      H why is heaven built so far,
      Oh why is earth set so remote?
      I cannot reach the nearest star
      That hangs afloat.
      I would not care to reach the moon,
      One round monotonous of change;
      Yet even she repeats her tune
      Beyond my range.
      I never watch the scatter'd fire
      Of stars, or sun's far-trailing train,
      But all my heart is one desire,
      And all in vain:
      For I am bound with fleshly bands,
      Joy, beauty, lie beyond my scope;
      I strain my heart, I stretch my hands,
      And catch at hope.

2 comments:

dianne said...

Beautiful words - what I want is beyond my scope...but I still stretch my heart and hands and catch at hope...for that is all I have left.

Corby said...

Christina Rossetti was a simple but amazing poet.

-Corby