Sunday, June 29, 2008

As the day dawned I found a newly emerged mourning cloak butterfly and held him for the briefest of moments. He flexed his wings in the sunlight and took off into the sky.

I left to go to another city about 2 hours away to drop off a painting for a show. The woman who greeted me was a bit reserved. She did not remark on the work or offer a friendly word. Instead she looked me up and down with a cold eye. It made me nervous about a conference I am attending and presenting at that goes along with the show. I will have to prove myself to them, that I am worthy of being there.

When I got home I found that Nella my rabbit was dead. She was laying in the bottom of her cage. She had a birth defect that needed medication and because of it was constantly having trouble. Her death was still rather unexpected. Let's all hope it is not an omen, just a passing as things do. I buried her in the dirt, laying her gently into the earthy hole. Letting it swallow her white body up with each shovel full of dirt. I realized how worn out I really am and reluctant to find sorrow again. A rainbow filled the sky as the storms passed and the sun set. A red rainbow, a day of transformations and endings.

4 comments:

Jean said...

I'm sorry about your Nella but don't look for signs. You will do just fine at the show, as you always do. The cranky broad is probably jealous.

Corby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corby said...

I will miss Nella, she was feisty, but could be very sweet, when she was in the mood to be nice.

-Corby

dianne said...

I guess Nella was another little pet that you rescued? I'm sorry that she has passed and I know you will miss her but maybe it was just her time to go. Don't look for shadows dear.
As for that woman at the show well I would say that she has an attitude & peoples skills problem; that is so rude and unsettling when someone looks you up and down like that, Corby she is the one with the problem not you.
The show will be fine. :) xox