Saturday, July 12, 2008

The fledgling grosbeak died. I found him just now in the yard already turning black and filled with maggots. A sad sight for such a beautiful creature and I find I am feeling enormously sad about it. I question my decision to release him, was he not well enough? Did some underlying illness strike him and end his life so early? Was it the neighbor's cat, which I hate with the fervor of a religious zealot because he so greedily kills my yard birds and leaves them uneaten in his gluttony. I suppose I should not blame him and I do like cats, I have one of my own and I adore her. Still I think people should not let them out, they are perfectly content to be indoors, safer for the cat and the birds. Still this little magnificent bird is now dead and rotting. How quickly these things can happen and it strikes me. This blow feels stronger perhaps, because even now I border the yawning edges of a great chasm of grief. Lately I have been dancing around it and throwing things down into it to see how far it goes. I am almost cavalier about it since I am just reluctant to feel a damn bit more of grief and its cold maggoty hands. It is the tender-hearted nature I have that gets me. I am so painfully optimistic and hopeful, sometimes the world does not write fairy tales and when it does they are brief, beautiful and full of wonder. So here is to my little grosbeak friend and for his finding a way despite my better judgment into my heart, may you be reborn as a giant great horned owl, for reasons I will not mention...

3 comments:

dianne said...

So sorry about your little grosbeak fledgling, survival for these dear little creatures is jeopardous as they are so vulnerable. I remember putting those little silver eyes back into their nest after they had fallen, their tremulous little bodies so soft in my hand. I couldn't sleep for fear that they may fall again or come to some other harm, but thankfully Mum & Dad returned to keep them warm and feed them and it was a happy ending.
I have three cats Corby, they have never been outside apart from being carried out to have a look around, they dont know any different and it is safer for them & the wildlife.
Dont be sad, you did what you could, sometimes despite our intervention there are no happy endings. :) xoxox

Jean said...

So sorry about the Grosbeak, Corby.
I'm sure you did all that was possible.

Corby said...

Dianne,

Silver Eyes? Oh the birds you must see there, so different from ours!

Jean,
I know I was angry about it, but really what can you do? We forget how difficult it must be for young animals to survive. Tough odds I guess.

-Corby