Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I had a house guest last night. A Rose-Breasted Grosbeak fledgling was hopping around the yard. He was really having a tough time getting anywhere and I had found a dead Grosbeak fledgling in the yard earlier in the day. I was debating catching the bird, it is sometimes a tough call. Do you stress the bird, in the effort to give it assistance or do you let nature run its course? I usually always opt on the side of the natural parents and I am a seasoned/licensed wildlife rehabilitator, so I am making an educated guess. After weighing the options, I made the decision to catch, check and overnight the bird. This decision was made after seeing the neighbors cat watching us and the influence of a dead sibling. So I caught him, checked him, fed him (again remember I am trained people, do not attempt this if you are not as you will most certainly kill the bird by trying to force feed it, and not all birds are seed eaters...) and overnighted him comfortably. The next day he was eating well and seemed to get his energy back so I released him into the back yard. Mom came in after about an hour or so and checked on him. He then proceeded to the serviceberry tree and pig out on berries. If you find a fledgling remember that the parents will not just forget their offspring, so make sure it is safe from predators and leave it alone.

No comments: