Tuesday, August 05, 2008

If there be any one can take my place
And make you happy whom I grieve to grieve,
Think not that I can grudge it, but believe
I do commend you to that nobler grace,
That readier wit than mine, that sweeter face;
Yea, since your riches make me rich, conceive
I am too crowned, while bridal crowns I weave,
And thread the bridal dance with jocund pace.
For if I did not love you, it might be
That I should grudge you some one dear delight;
But since the heart is yours that was mine own,
Your pleasure is my pleasure, right my right,
Your honourable freedom makes me free,
And you companioned I am not alone.

-Christina Rossetti

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a beautiful explanation of a higher love - it's comforting and tells me that I really didn't love this or that person as I thought - like the violinist that broke it off with me and married a pianist within the year. I wished them lots of tone-deaf children. I was young - and a little evil, I suppose.

dianne said...

That is beautiful Corby - selfless love. Remember I told you about my Celtic Knight choosing the other flower & not me? Well I want him to be happy and I wish them well,after all she is who he wants; but I find myself often wishing he had chosen me...

Corby said...

DW- No I am also not really that nice, if I could steal what I want I would, despite my own circumstance. I do make a point to avoid violinists in general! :-)

Dianne,
I know what you mean.

-Corby