Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dying is a sad and slow process. It cannot be rushed although your heart may crave it, to ease the pain of a long goodbye. Then what do you say when the moments drag on? You have said it all and they can no longer say anything. They look, but can they see you? They hear you and move their faces but it is one-sided. All I want to do is ease his pain and let him go on, but he stays. He is waiting for something and we cannot know what. I am not really thinking or my heart would just split apart, I am not really feeling it all right now, just concentrating on the minutes, hours and bracing for that last breath.

I go now to sit a vigil at his side

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Corby,

I sit here in my study, hopeless & helpless, with sad eyes. Surely, Ms. Corby, one can do no more than that you are verily doing. Holding a hand in one's own warm hand, smiling gently, restraining one's emotions which ev'ry so often o'erflow in flood-like waves across the field of one's heart. Doing all that you too would like done, if it were you in his place. Peace will come one day as a release & in that day he will be in sleepful bliss, whereas you, my dear friend, must turn to rest as much as you can, & pray leave your anxieties to the Almighty who can take any burden of yours upon his mighty shoulders. The only comfort I might offer you is one that comfort'd me when my mother tragically died at a very young age, the scripture from John 5:28 which says:

"Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out"

It is the ones left, of course, watching all such sadness before their very eyes, who suffer the most, until that day arrives, & so I will say a sincere prayer tonight for you yourself to be comfort'd, for you do need a strength beyond normal in times like this. My heart is much with you. I wish you a most peaceful & restful sleep for this night.

I remain, &c.
Colonel Brandon.
Nature Diary

Jean said...

You and your father are in my thoughts, as always.
I wish I could do more.

dianne said...

My thoughts are with you both Corby dear...just be there for each other, no words need be spoken... ♥

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you, Corby.

Corby said...

thank you everyone, his suffering is over now.

-Corby