Saturday, March 14, 2009

As I paint him he appears and then disappears. For a moment I am struck by the recognition of creating the face I have seen my entire life and then it is gone again. Like a dance, I patiently paint the steps until it is right, it has to be right, perfectly so. This is the legacy I can leave, a catching of one singular moment of his life. It was the day I realized he was leaving me forever, but then he is here behind me, admiring the work. I have seen this painting for ages, lifetimes , and I am still unsure of what he gazes at. What does he see that makes just a hint of a smile? This is as much from memory as life, from all the times before he died that I sketched him. I paint his skin pink and flush with life, not yellow, not sick. He is well here although he is softly dying, like a whisper we could not hear. Even now I ache for missing him, his protection, his love for me that never ended, even now. He will attend his show, here in this painting I will give him a voice there. I am an artist's daughter. Someone helped me get here today, someone I love. Thank you...for reminding me.

3 comments:

Jean said...

He will never leave you, he is a part of you. He will always smile his pride on you.
(I didn't realize he was an artist, too.)

dianne said...

So lovely to capture one moment and memories with paint on canvas...I think it is so difficult to paint a portrait of someone we love as the image doesn't always capture the essence and true emotion of the person...well that's been my experience anyway.
I'm sure your painting will be perfect and that 'hint of a smile' you see is for you Corby for he is with you and he is very proud of you. ♥

Corby said...

Thanks, I think it was a good way to hear him in my heart again.
I miss him terribly, and always will.

-Corby