Saturday, March 05, 2011

XLIV

You will know that I do and do not love you
just as life is of two minds,
a word is one wing of silence,
and fire is half made of ice.

I love you just so I can begin to love you,
to begin anew at the infinite
and to be able never to stop loving you:
For these reasons, I do not love you yet.

I do and do not love you as if I held
in my hands the keys to every happiness
and an uncertain, unhappy fate.

My love has two lifetimes to love you.
That's how I can love you when I don't,
and still love you when I do.

Pablo Neruda

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey great blog! I noticed you liked art and oping maybe you like my new art blog as well! I post famous works daily by the best artists!

Thanks!

dianne said...

I have read this poem so many times, I do like it but if he does commit to love he seems unsure of his fate or whether he is ready to love at all.

xoxoxo ♡