Wednesday, August 16, 2006

To Play Artist

I went to the local zoo to play artist today. I need to draw from life to keep my skills up and I am obviously a big fan of animals. The only dilemna is that to do this, you become quite similar to the animals, in that you are also on display. This means all of my crappy drawings which I always start with until I get into my groove; are out there for everyone to see. You become this ambassador for artists everywhere. People literally crowd around to watch, which is difficult for me. I like to remain somewhat covert and seek out the most unvisited places to draw. No matter how many times I found a cozy spot, free from screaming crowds of children, I would be surrounded within minutes of starting my picture. This would always cause my subject to move out of its relaxed position, leading to yet another poor study from life. I did remain quite civil and joked with the people around me in order to keep artists on good footing with the general public. Who knows, maybe one day in the future one of those kids I saw will be drawing at the zoo themselves. Hopefully they will have better results then I did today!

No comments: